Beef in Chilli Broth 水煮牛肉
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Beef and Marinade
- 300g sirloin steak (or tenderloin)
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp corn flour
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- Ginger, sliced
- Spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chilli bean paste
- 500 ml pork stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 tbsp ground sichuan peppercorn
Ingredients for ‘Oil Splash’
- 10 dried chillies, fried and crushed
- 8g sichuan peppercorn, fried and crushed
- 1 tsp ground sichuan peppercorn
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 5g spring onions, chopped
- Or any green vegetable of your choice
- Coriander, to garnish
- Marinade beef with egg, soy sauce and corn flour. Keep whisking the meat and the liquid together for 10 minutes, so that the beef has fully absorbed the liquid.
- Prepare a pan with hot oil, add dried chillies and Sichuan peppercorns. Fry for 3-5 minutes until they are all crispy. Drain them from hot oil and cool to room temperature.
- Using the same pan, add beansprouts and leeks (or other vegetables of your choice) along with ground Sichuan peppercorn. Stir fry for 8-10 minutes until they are cooked and softened. Remove from pan to a serving dish.
- Add a dash of oil and reheat the pan. Add ginger, spring onions and chilli bean paste. Mix well and fry it for a minute or two before add the stock of your choice. Bring it to boil then reduce the heat, so that it only simmers.
- Add beef slices to the broth, and let it cook for 5-8 minutes. Avoid bring the broth to boil, because this will toughen up the beef.
- Once the beef is cooked, transferred everything to the serving dish.
- Crush the dried chillies and Sichuan peppercorns that has just been fried and cooled. You can use a pestle and mortar, or a mini chopper like myself.
- Garnish chopped garlic, spring onions, ground Sichuan peppercorn sesame seeds on top.
- Heat a small pan of oil until it starts to smoke, then pour the oil all over the garnish.
- Last, garnish with fresh coriander and ready to serve!