Drunken Chicken 花雕醉鸡
This is a simplistic dish originated in the Zhejiang region; steamed chicken is steeped in a Shaoxing wine (we are using the semi-dry Huadiao here) overnight before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: Zhejiang
- 2 chicken legs
- Ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100ml hot water
- 400ml Shaoxing wine/ Huadiao wine
- Bay leaf (optional)
- 10g Goji berries, softened with hot water
- De-bone chicken legs, so that you have a clean flap of chicken meat.
- Season with salt and pepper, before rolling it into a cylinder shape
- Using 2 layers of cling film then place the meat near the bottom of the cling film. Roll along the cling film. Tighten the roulade further by grabbing the two ends and spin it away from yourself.
- Secure the loose ends with cooking strings or bands (https://amzn.to/3curB6p)
- Sous vide them in a water bath at 71 degree C for 90 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam them in a bamboo basket.
- When the chicken is cooked, let it cool down to room temperature before adding to the wine immersion.
- Let the chicken chill overnight – serve chilled or warm (warm it up again by steaming)
- Dissolve sugar with hot water in a bowl.
- Add Shaoxing wine and goji berries.
Special equipment & gadget used in this video:
Keywords: drunken chicken, 醉鸡