Vegan Char Siu Bao 素食叉烧包
Calling all my BAO buddies!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 14 buns
- Category: Bao
- Method: Steam
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Vegan
- · 300g All purpose flour
- · 20g Caster sugar (optional)
- · 6g Instant yeast
- · 200ml Warm (35°C) water (subject to consistency)
CHAR SIU JACKFRUIT FILLINGS:
- · 2 x 200g Shredded jackfruit
- · 1 White onion, diced
- · 3 tbsp Vegan oyster sauce
- · 1 tbsp Five spice powder
- · 1 tbsp Honey (subject to consistency)
To make the dough:
- Dissolve the instant yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl with warm water. Mix well then add flour
- Knead well with your hands or a stand mixer for a good 10-15 minutes. Leave it aside for 30 minutes until gluten is developed. (So when you poke the dough, the mark will disappear and return to its shape)
- Knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a wet towel and let it proof for 90 – 120 minutes, until the dough has double its size.
- Dust your working surface with flour. Place the dough on the surface and starts knocking back the dough to release air pockets.
- Divide the dough into 14 portions.
To make the filling:
- Sweat the onion for 5 minutes, then add the shredded jackfruit. Stir for another 5 minutes to get rid of the moisture.
- Add five spice powder, vegan oyster sauce, then stir for another 2 minutes.
- Last reduce hear, add honey and mix well.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Roll each dough portion into a ball, then roll it out into a flat circle about the size of your palm (5 inch).
- Place 2 tbsp of the jackfruit fillings in the center of the wrapper (while you are holding the wrapper with the other hand).
- Pleat the buns until the top is closed. (Check out my instagram video for instruction if you struggle to pleat the top!)
- Place each bun on a parchment paper square.
- Let the buns to proof for another 10 minutes before steaming. (I’m using a bamboo steaming basket with a pot of boiling water underneath)
- Serve it HOT! (You can freeze them after steamed, and re-steamed them the next time)
Keywords: bao, vegan, char siu bao,