Crispy Chilli Beef Burger
Today I’m going to show you how to make a Crispy Chilli Beef Burger as my way to pay homage to the Crispy Chilli Beef in Bar Fusion, and the Dirty Burger from Dirty Duck. And this is also something fun and great to cook at home, while celebrating a new academic year ahead!
For the crispy chilli beef:
- 250g beef skirt, sliced into 1 cm strips and marinated for at least 30 minutes with:
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- Excess corn flour for coating
Sticky Chilli Sauce:
- 1 tbsp garlic, diced
- 2 red chillies, sliced ( I like it very spicy, so feel free to adjust to your taste!)
- 5 tbsp fat boy sweet soy sauce
For the Asian coleslaw:
- 200g white cabbage, shredded
- 200g red cabbage, shredded
- 200g carrots, grated
To make a Sriracha mayo:
- 1 egg yolk
- 30g sesame oil, plus excess adding a little at a time
- 10g sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
For the chilli crispy beef:
1. Slice beef into 1 cm stripes along the grain. Place them in a bowl and mix with oyster sauce, corn flour and egg. Mix everything in the bowl evenly with your hands (I usually wear gloves so that it feels less messy!). Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
2. Skip this step if you have a deep-fryer. Fill 2/3 of the saucepan with hot, heat until the temperature reaches 170 degree C.
3. Place excess corn flour in a separate bowl. Coat beef stripe with corn flour individually just before they are added to the hot oil for deep-frying. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until they are all crispy and turned golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a baking tray layered with kitchen towel.
4. Repeat step 3 until all of the beef stripes are deep-fried!
5. In a separate pan, heat oil over a medium hear. Add garlic and chillies, stir fry for 1 minute. Then add sweet soy sauce.
6. Turn off the heat completely. Add deep-fried beef stripe. Mix well and ensure beef stripes are coated evenly with the sticky sauce.
Note: This can be served as a dish itself, along with boiled rice. They are so delicious!
For the sriracha mayo:
1. Place egg yolk in a bowl.
2. Slowly whisk in sesame oil, so that it blends nicely with the egg yolk. The amount of sesame oil is very flexible.
3. Once a dropping consistency is reached. Add in apple cider vinegar and salt to taste.
4. Pour into a mixing bowl with shredded cabbage and carrots.
Assemble the burger! Cut the potato bun in half, layered as much chilli beef and Asian coleslaw on top.
Potato Bread Rolls
See full recipe at: https://www.sandytang.co.uk/2020/05/potato-bread-%e5%9c%9f%e8%b1%86%e9%9d%a2%e5%8c%85/